Dry shampoo is a type of hair care product that is used to absorb excess oil and impurities from the scalp and hair. It is especially useful for people who need to refresh their hair in between washes or for those who have oily scalp or fine, limp hair.
Dry shampoo for colored hair is specifically formulated to be gentle on colored hair, helping to preserve the vibrancy and longevity of the color. It works by absorbing excess oil and impurities from the scalp and hair, without stripping the hair of its natural oils or fading the color.
To use dry shampoo, simply shake the can well and hold it about 6 inches away from your head. Spray the dry shampoo onto the roots of your hair, focusing on the areas that are most oily. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the product to absorb the oil, then brush or comb your hair to distribute the dry shampoo evenly.
Dry shampoo can be a great addition to your hair care routine, especially if you have colored hair and want to keep it looking vibrant and fresh between washes.
9 Best Dry Shampoos for Colored Hair in 2023：Our Recommendation
1.Dry Shampoo for Women with Dark or Blonde Hair
The Onsensia O So Stylish Dry Shampoo protects your hair color from fading. It also preserves the vividness of the color and reduces the chances of hair damage. It reduces frizz and soaks up the extra oil and dirt from the hair and scalp. It is enriched with an argan oil formula and other natural oils. This shampoo moisturizes, deodorizes, and resists humidity. It does not leave any residue. This sulfate-free, paraben-free, and cruelty-free dry shampoo leaves your hair feeling soft. The product is also free of mineral oil and petrolatum. It is vegan too. Here is an informative video that tells you more about the product.
- Mineral oil-free
- Feels heavy on the hair
2.Redken Deep Clean Dry Shampoo
Redken Celebrity Stylist Kiley Fitzgerald recommends this newly released product, saying that “when hair is really dirty, I opt for a starchy white dry shampoo to spray into the hair and comb to really get the dirt out, like Redken’s new Jumbo Deep Clean Dry Shampoo.” An added bonus is that this new product gives your hair a “clean and cooling sensation” so we can expect it will become a popular favorite fast. Try the new jumbo size to get more bang for your buck!
- Fresh & Clean Feel
- Little Use Goes a Long Way
- Not as Affordable as Other Options
Also read:Top 10 best shampoo and conditioner for curly hair
3.Living Proof Dry Shampoo
Instead of simply masking scent and oiliness, this dry shampoo actually cleans dirty hair, keeping it looking and smelling like you just washed your strands. Plus, it’s easy to blend into all hair colors, so brunettes don’t have to worry about gray streaks showing up.
- Cleanses hair
4.Pureology Style + Protect Refresh & Go Dry Shampoo
The Pureology Refresh & Go Dry Shampoo is a color-safe shampoo rich in rice starch. It absorbs excess oil from the roots and adds texture to hair. It helps you style your hair effortlessly. The shampoo includes an anti-fade complex that protects the vibrancy and life of hair color. This dry shampoo is 100% vegan and free of sulfates. It also contains antioxidants that offer protection against UVA/UVB rays. It even comes in a recyclable bottle. For more information about the product, click this video.
How To Apply: Spray the dry shampoo into the roots, focusing on the parting and crown of the head. Comb through the entire hair from the roots to tips for even absorption.
- Anti-fade complex
- UV protection
- 100% vegan
- 100% recyclable bottle
Also read:The Best Shampoo For Curly Hair Sulfate-free in 2023
5.Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak
You’ll love this one for its drugstore price and high-quality formula. This no-nonsense dry shampoo works especially on curly hair types and textures and works super well with your wallet. One reviewer says “this works great and is perfect for my needs so can’t imagine a more expensive brand working any better!”
- Super Affordable
- Leaves Some Residue If Not Brushed Through
6.Sol De Janeiro Brazilian Joia Dry Shampoo
If you’re often sweating by the beach (or post-workout, your call) this dry shampoo will make absorbing oil a breeze. It won’t dry out your scalp, but quickly transforms greasy strands into voluminous, healthy strands that look like you just washed them.
- Some may dislike the scent
Also read:Best Salon Shampoo for Curly Hair Reviews
7.Natural Formula Dry Shampoo For Dry
The Natural Formula Dry Shampoo absorbs dirt and oil and leaves your hair looking clean and fresh. It is formulated especially for dry or color-treated hair and maintains color vibrancy. This shampoo is enriched with Moroccan argan oil, which moisturizes hair and offers deep nourishment. It also rejuvenates damaged hair. It is free of parabens, sodium chloride, SLS, salt, and talc. It also is hypoallergenic and cruelty-free. Check this video to learn more about the product.
How To Apply: Shake the can well and spray from a distance of 8 to 12 inches. Massage in well. Brush out the excess product and style.
- Sodium chloride-free
- Overpowering fragrance
8.R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo
Want to reduce oiliness and increase volume? This product will give you the best of both worlds and will give even the most flat and limp hair types a voluminous lift. One reviewer says this product was “hand down the best dry shampoo”: “Most dry shampoos look fine in the morning, but in the afternoon my hair looks terrible without much body/lift. This R+Co Death Valley dry shampoo keeps your hair looking great all day long.”
- No Residue
- Maximum Volumizing Power
- Not Best Suited for Oily Hair
Also read:10 Best Shampoos for Men with Hair Loss in 2023
9.Suave Professionals Color Care Dry Shampoo
The Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo keeps your hair clean and manageable between washes. It is powered with Keralock technology and infused with keratin that absorbs excess oil and adds longevity to the haircolor. The shampoo minimizes grease and adds body to hair. It extends blowouts and leaves your hair looking fresh and clean.
How To Apply: Shake well. Part and lift hair in sections to apply to the roots. Spray from 8 to 12 inches away. Massage well with fingertips till oil is absorbed. Brush through.
- Adds volume
- Pleasant fragrance
- Reduces grease
- Reasonable priced
Dry Shampoo Pros and Cons for Colored Hair
Pros of dry shampoo for colored hair:
- It can absorb excess oil and impurities from the scalp and hair, helping to refresh and revitalize the appearance of your hair.
- It can help to extend the life of your hair color by reducing the need to wash your hair as often, which can strip the color from your hair.
- It is convenient and easy to use, making it a quick and effective way to freshen up your hair between washes.
- It can add volume and body to your hair, helping to give it more lift and texture.
Cons of dry shampoo for colored hair:
- It may leave a residue on your scalp and hair if not used correctly or if you use too much.
- It may not be effective at absorbing oil and impurities if your hair is excessively dirty or greasy.
- It may cause build-up on your scalp and hair if used too frequently, leading to dryness or dandruff.
- It may not be suitable for people with sensitive scalp or allergies to the ingredients in the product.
It’s important to use dry shampoo for colored hair sparingly and as directed on the product to avoid any potential negative effects. If you notice any adverse reactions or problems with your hair or scalp after using dry shampoo, stop using it and consult a hair care professional for guidance.
Dry Shampoo Buying Guide for Colored Hair
If you’re looking to buy dry shampoo for colored hair, here are some things to consider:
- Hair type: Consider your hair type and choose a dry shampoo that is formulated for your specific hair needs. For example, if you have dry or damaged hair, look for a dry shampoo that is nourishing and hydrating. If you have oily hair, look for a dry shampoo that is designed to absorb excess oil and impurities.
- Hair color: Choose a dry shampoo that is specifically formulated for your hair color to avoid any potential discoloration or brassiness. For example, if you have blonde hair, look for a dry shampoo that is specifically formulated for blonde hair.
- Ingredients: Pay attention to the ingredients in the dry shampoo to ensure that it is safe and suitable for your hair and scalp. Avoid products with sulfates, parabens, and other harsh chemicals that may strip the color from your hair or cause irritation.
- Brand reputation: Look for a reputable brand with a proven track record of producing high-quality hair care products. Read reviews and do some research to find a dry shampoo that has received positive feedback from other customers.
- Price: Consider your budget and choose a dry shampoo that fits your price range. Keep in mind that higher-priced products are not necessarily better than lower-priced ones, and that you may be able to find a good-quality dry shampoo at an affordable price.
It’s important to do your research and choose a dry shampoo that is formulated for your hair type, color, and specific needs to get the best results.
Also read:8 Best Shampoos for Wavy Hair Types in 2023
Dry Shampoo Questions Answered for Colored Hair
Here are some common questions about dry shampoo for colored hair:
Dry shampoo is generally safe for colored hair, as long as it is used as directed and not overused. However, it is important to choose a dry shampoo that is formulated for colored hair to avoid any potential damage or fading. Some dry shampoos may contain harsh chemicals or sulfates that can strip the color from your hair or cause dryness or breakage. Look for a dry shampoo that is gentle on your hair and scalp and free of sulfates and other harsh ingredients.
How often can I use dry shampoo on colored hair?
It’s generally safe to use dry shampoo on colored hair once or twice a week, depending on your hair type and scalp condition. However, it’s important to use it sparingly and not overuse it, as it can cause build-up on your scalp and hair if used too frequently. If you have excessively oily hair or scalp, you may need to use dry shampoo more often. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the product and use it as directed to avoid any potential negative effects.
Can dry shampoo lighten or darken colored hair?
Some dry shampoos may contain ingredients that can lighten or darken colored hair. For example, dry shampoos that contain hydrogen peroxide may lighten the color of your hair, while dry shampoos that contain cocoa powder or other dark pigments may darken the color. It’s important to choose a dry shampoo that is specifically formulated for your hair color to avoid any potential discoloration or brassiness.
Can dry shampoo be used as a substitute for regular shampoo?
Dry shampoo is not a substitute for regular shampoo and should not be used as such. It is designed to absorb excess oil and impurities from the scalp and hair, but it cannot fully cleanse the hair and scalp like regular shampoo can. It’s important to use regular shampoo and conditioner to properly cleanse and nourish your hair and scalp, and to use dry shampoo only as a temporary refresh between washes.